Indian passport holders on the acquisition of foreign citizenship are required to surrender their Indian passports to the Embassy. The applicant will be issued a surrender/renunciation certificate on submission of Renunciation Application Form and the Indian passport will be canceled and returned to him/her. No renunciation/surrender certificate will be issued if latest Indian passport is not surrendered physically.
After the acquisition of foreign citizenship, an Indian passport cannot be used for travel after three months of the naturalization date. If the Indian passport is not surrendered beyond three years after the naturalization date, a penalty of US$250 will be charged. In addition, a penalty of US$250 will be charged in each case of misuse of the Indian passport for travel after three months of acquisition of foreign citizenship, which may go up to US$1250.
The Renunciation Application will not be processed and summarily rejected unless accompanied by items listed below. Documents should be provided in the same order as they appear on this checklist:
1. Two (2) copies of the completed Renunciation Application Form.
2. Naturalization Certificate: A copy of the Naturalization Certificate is required.
3. Most Recent Indian Passport: Your most recent Indian passport must be provided. In addition to the actual passport, please also provide photocopies of the first three pages and the last two pages of the passport.
Important for Persons of Indian Origin :
Persons of Indian origin who have already acquired foreign citizenship on or before May 31, 2010, will not be required to pay renunciation fees of US$175.00. However, he/she will be required to pay miscellaneous fees of US $20 when having the old Indian passport canceled/surrendered.
Those Indian citizens who have acquired foreign citizenship on or after June 1, 2010, will have to submit a declaration of renunciation of their Indian citizenship and pay fees of US$175.
Renunciation Certificate is not required for traveling to India. However, once a person acquires citizenship of another country, it is obligatory to surrender Indian citizenship.
4. Copy of Foreign (Non-Indian) Passport: A copy of the information page of Foreign passport is required.
5. Proof of Address: Applicants must submit a photocopy with proof of residence/address that matches the present address on the renunciation request exactly. Photocopy of state issued ID (Driver License or ID), or major utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Sewage) must be submitted. For minors, a proof of address from parents or a legal guardian may be submitted instead.